Saturday 3 May 2014

Paul Magnus: 11:44

What a fitting challenge! Carlin is in heaven. Known widely across Canada, the United States, and the world, he was a gift. Ephesians 4 says that Jesus came to earth, filled it with gifts, and then he went to heaven and filled it with gifts. So Pastor Carlin, having been the great gift that he was here, is now, also, a gift in heaven. He was a friend of Jesus and for me he was a true friend.

John Barkman, Carlin, and myself were peer vice-presidents. We were peer Youthquake doers, and Carlin was my next door neighbour when I first joined the institution. I was a high school kid finishing when they were seniors in Bible college.
They embraced me throughout the journey. My first memory of Carlin and Marcia, a lovely couple. They had moved in a walk down the hall, and next door were a couple of single guys. I was one of them, rooming together, and at 7:30 in the morning he’d invariably come by. I’d hear him come by and he’d sit down and say, “I’ve been thinking,” and “I’ve been dreaming.” We did so much so much thinking and dreaming together.

 I would say, above all, my memory of Carlin is that he was a friend. A friend to his wife Marcia, a friend to his children and grandchildren, a friend to siblings, a friend to all of you in this church, and every last person who spoke today referred to his friendship. He also was a shepherd to so many of us as a friend.

I would like to pray with us.

Our Father, who art in heaven. Hallowed and celebrated be your name today. We praise you for the work of Jesus in Carlin’s life and through Carlin’s life, and because of Carlin’s life.
Today we wish to pray, especially for his dear wife Marcia, his amazing family, children, spouses, their grandchildren, the family in this church, and around the world that know Jesus because of Carlin and experienced him in flesh, because he spent so much time with Jesus that the love of Jesus and the truth of Jesus emanated from him. We pray for each of these dear people now that Carlin is gone. We pray that each one would sense Your presence, the touch of Your shepherding hand. May we all recognize that You are our Shepherd. May we sense that thus we have no need, no want, that isn’t something you can provide. Give us the faith and the hope to lie down in green pastures and beside still waters, and even though this shadow, this reality of death, as we walk through it we fear no evil. May we bask in your presence and your embrace, and allow your rod and your staff to comfort us. We would pray that we would be full of faith and full of confidence as we live, anticipating when we ourselves will join you, and be in that circle of friendship again, directly interfacing with our brother, Carlin Weinhauer.

And we would pray and commend each loving family and this church, and those who have been touched by Carlin to You. In Jesus precious name, we pray. Amen.
01:48:31
01:50:51
Video: I’ve Just seen Jesus
John Neufeld:
Announcements

I've Just Seen Jesus
Bill Gaither


We knew He was dead It is finished, He said. We had watched as His life ebbed away Then we all stood around Till the guards took Him down Joseph begged for His body that day
It was late afternoon When we got to the tomb Wrapped his body and sealed up the grave So I know how you feel His death was so real But please listen and hear what I say
I've just seen Jesus I tell you He's alive I've just seen Jesus Our precious Lord alive And I knew, He really saw me too As if till now, I'd never lived All that I'd done before Won't matter anymore I've just seen Jesus And I'll never be the same again
It was His voice she first heard Those kind gentle words Asking what was her reason for tears And I sobbed in despair My Lord is not there He said, Child! It is I, I am here!
I've just seen Jesus I tell you He's alive I've just seen Jesus Our precious Lord alive And I knew, He really saw me too As if till now, I'd never lived All that I'd done before Won't matter anymore I've just seen Jesus I've just seen Jesus I've just seen Jesus All that I'd done before Won't matter anymore I've just seen Jesus And I'll never be the same again I've just seen Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment